Tuesday, October 13, 2009

life outside the diamond is a wrench.

A few things:

--A quick football roundup:
  • I was just about on the money with my predictions (5-1), with a few notable flaws in reasoning (dead wrong about the Falcons, and turnovers, not the running game, killed Auburn in their game against Arkansas).
  • Bama's got to be the favorite now, if they weren't already. Anyone else catch that headsnapper Macaroy caught from the Ole Miss linebacker? One of the best hits of the year.
  • Florida clearly has a great defense, but Steve Addazio's offense has some serious issues, namely the failure to incorporate Aaron Hernandez into the game.
  • LSU is who I thought they were, a roundly unspectacular team playing far too conservatively to upset anyone. We don't threaten deep, we don't threaten over the middle, we can't run consistently, and we get a ton of penalties. I'd still keep Crowton, but we need a damn quarterback (whither art thou, Perrilloux?).
  • I wouldn't take Virginia Tech's latest round of beatings too seriously; they rock bad teams (ACC ball all day baby) but nearly lost to Nebraska and, if you'll recall, got shadrached by Bama.
  • Pretty wary of Texas, too. McCoy's throwing a ton of picks against not-good teams; that offense is missing Quan Cosby almost as much as Ole Miss is missing Mike Wallace. If Oklahoma wins the Shootout, the Big 12's out of the MNC hunt for good, barring some real upsets in God's Conference.
--Speaking of Oklahoma, say hello to Ray-Ray.

--I watched the "Niagara" episode of The Office for the first time yesterday, and I'm really wowed by how the show can always up the weirdness (Dwight's whispery mixtape: "Oh, that I could trade places with you"), awkwardness (the post-cuteness portion of Jim's speech), or general hilarity ("I always look forward to smoking my afternoon cigars," "I'm not gay, I'm Kevin," the three-wolf shirt, and "I wouldn't care to live if I thought that") even after the central conceit has been thrown out the window. Pretty nice return to form overall, with the exception of the youtube meme wedding thing, which was just kind of lame.

--Also caught up on Fringe. Pleasepleaseplease stay this weird.


--This is the funniest thing I've seen from SNL in a long while, with the exception of the things I see on 30 Rock:



--No guarantees for a post tomorrow. I'm crazy tired after today's workload (presentation, extended essay, exam), and I'll be savoring Fall Break once it hits tomorrow afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment