Thursday, October 8, 2009

This is why first impressions are often correct

--Some things are starting to crystallize in my mind regarding this blog:

  • I think that I will indeed update daily, but that I'll only have one extended post (e.g. the Andrew Bird post) on music/movies/books once per week, probably on Tuesdays.
  • Still thinking that I'll have sports (football duh) on Mondays and Fridays (reactions and predictions, respectively)
  • We got peeds, y'all! We're officially on the internet (I had my doubts).
  • Seriously, Bill, I respect your game, and you clearly put a lot of thought into that comment (maybe I was looking out into the distance on horseback for some manner of pedophile mirage), but it's over, dog.
  • xoxo
--In part to avoid a debilitating oversaturation with Talking Heads a la Sufjan Stevens, I've acquired a truly ridiculous amount of music over the last two months. We've got:

  • Monsters of Folk (best name ever), Self-Titled
  • The Mountain Goats, Tallahassee
  • Megafaun, Gather, Form & Fly
  • David Byrne and Brian Eno, Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
  • David Byrne and Brian Eno, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
  • St. Vincent, Actor
  • TVOTR, Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes
  • Sunset Rubdown, Dragonslayer
  • Sonic Youth, Daydream Nation
  • The Rural Alberta Advantage, Hometowns
  • My Bloody Valentine, Loveless
  • Pixies, Doolittle
  • Talking Heads, Little Creatures
In all likelihood, I'll skip over most of these when I'm doing my top ten list in January. Not only is there a ton of competition, but I've had a bad and longstanding habit of giving albums less thorough listens than they deserve, and then putting them on the "Honorable Mentions" list (Return to Cookie Mountain and a number of Josh Ritter albums suffered this fate, if I remember correctly, on the original list in 2007). Some of the denser albums I've gotten this year, like Merriweather Post Pavilion and Bitte Orca, will probably get the same treatment. So far, though, Loveless, Hometowns, GF&F and the Byrne/Eno albums are the most promising. Also, a top twenty songs list (new feature!!!!) is taking shape in my brainzone right now.

--Next week's culture post will either be on a Talking Heads album, a movie, or Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino.

--The Cardinals are the chokingest bunch of chokers; disgraceful performances these last two nights.

3 comments:

  1. Walter, When this blog becomes famous world wide, let it be known that I was the first follower. Sturgeon should read this also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your loyalty is noted, collin, and you will join me in paradise. also, mr. sturgeon would be displeased by my use of frivolous language, i think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I completely agree all your choices here!! St. Vincent is fucking knockout.

    ReplyDelete